We offer both Full-time, Part-time, and steady Per- Diem employment, with a competitive compensation package, including PTO, 401K, health, dental, vision, and group disability insurance, continuing education, wellness, transit, and bonus options.
DVM or equivalent
2 openings available.
You will be joining a very supportive team, made up of individuals sincerely dedicated to a wide community of New York City pets and people
Kalvig & Shorter Veterinary Associates is an established, privately owned, premiere Manhattan veterinary practice, with a loyal and diverse New York City clientele who are passionate about excellent veterinary care for their pets
KSV was founded upon a commitment to providing kindness and excellence in veterinary health care, patient and client services, and community involvement
A core value of our hospital team is to give our individual and collective best to the clients and patients whom we serve everyday
About the Candidate
We are looking for a candidate to join our hospital team who sincerely places value on helping both pets and people. This position is perfect for someone devoted to practicing high quality medicine with a caring heart toward their patients, serious about the importance of excellent client communications, and passionate about serving their community. This is an outstanding opportunity for a dedicated individual who is looking for an intimate environment to work, learn, collaborate, and experience career growth in the many open areas of general practice and special interest. A candidate interested in a veterinary career within the thriving pet community of New York City would find an exciting mix of work-life balance, continuing education, and invaluable professional growth. We welcome all special interests, including but not limited to surgery, internal medicine, dentistry, emergency and critical care, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, exotics, and dermatology.
Quotes from the Hospital Team
"I love working at Kalvig & Shorter because of the friendly environment created by the work community, as well as the care and attention that the veterinarians and staff show both patients and clients!" - Emily B. (Veterinary Assistant/ Receptionist/ Pre-Vet Student)
"I worked at KSV the Spring before starting veterinary school. Dr. Kalvig and Dr. Shorter are excited to teach those with a desire to learn. I learned about the core vaccine schedules/why other vaccines may be recommended, dosing medication, normal and abnormal exam findings, the basics of routine surgery, positioning for radiographs/processing them, how/when to use laser therapy, and learned about effective client communications by witnessing the doctors and also by doing intake/discharges myself. Veterinary specialists often visited the clinic, and it was always interesting to see their work and to learn about the different avenues available in veterinary medicine. Not only was it fascinating to have this exposure as a pre-vet student, the knowledge I gained working at KSV has already helped me excel during my first year of veterinary school. It was also a great experience to see how a smaller, privately owned veterinary practice delivers quality care to their clients and their patients, which is something I hope to carry into my own career as a veterinarian." - Irina S. ( KSV Veterinary Assistant/Extern, Current Veterinary Student)
“I am reviewing KSV as a client and half a decade employee at this establishment. Keep in mind, I have not worked in the veterinary field for a few years now, but have seen plenty of veterinary establishments, and I have nothing to benefit from this review. I've worked with Dr Kalvig and Dr Shorter as a lead technician for many years and have seen first hand how they treat their clients and patients. They treat each and every patient with absolute care, tremendous in detail, and top quality medicine. They are straight forward with their diagnostics so they can find the root of each patient's ailment with no BS. I have seen them help patients dodge diseases by using quality preventative care all the way to helping animals when they are at the end stages of their life. Both doctors pay extremely close attention to detail. In fact, they pay so much attention to detail, it may spin their staff's head, but to put that all in perspective, the detail is what saves many animals' lives. Dr Shorter, as a surgeon, will probably be one of the best veterinary surgeons you'll ever come across. I've seen him, first hand, perform some of the toughest surgeries without breaking a sweat. His confidence and ability portrays in the work he provides. Lastly, you will not find the type of customer service quality they provide anywhere else. After many years working with them, I can't recall a specific time when they were truly not available if their staff or clients needed help. They are hard working doctors and treat all their clients with respect, care, and passion.
Dr Kalvig and Dr Shorter are truly kind and passionate doctors and human beings. We are all very lucky to have such great doctors in the veterinary field who also share our passion for animals. Needless to say, I used to bring my amazing orange cat to see them when he needed medical attention when he was still with me. I wouldn't bring my cat to anyone else cause I knew the doctors and staff would care for my cat like he was part of their family!” - Gino W. (LVT, Former Lead technician, currently a Computer Sciences Professional)
Highlights of the Practice:
- Our practice provides many opportunities for new employees to learn new skills and the many important aspects of day-to-day veterinary medicine under the mentorship of practice owners, Dr. Kalvig and Dr. Shorter, Referral Specialists, and Associate DVMs
- We are a full-service hospital with a state-of-the-art surgical suite, digital radiology, ultrasound, dentistry, in-house lab, cold laser therapy, cryotherapy, and anesthesia monitoring equipment. We offer a wide range of medical, surgical, radiology, and dental services, along with a fully stocked hospital and on-line pharmacy.
- Surrounded by many referral and emergency practices, in addition to specialists who work out of KSV on a regular basis, the opportunity for collaboration on cases with Board-Certified specialists of every background is readily available, seven days a week
- An experienced, well respected Board Certified Internist is on call for on-site ultrasounds, endoscopy, colonoscopy, rhinoscopy, and various guided biopsy procedures
- An experienced, well respected Board Certified Cardiologist is on call for cardiology consultations and echocardiogram
- Exper...ienced and well respected Board Certified Surgery Teams are on call for case consultations and advanced surgery procedures
- An experienced Board Certified Nutritionist is available for client consultations and individualized patient recipes
- We see a wide array of medical cases daily, and serve many patients with multiple chronic illnesses well into their geriatric years, with the help of preventative health care, thorough diagnostics, and a high level of client compliance
Located in the historical midtown Manhattan neighborhood of Murray Hill, our beautiful private practice is in a lovely brownstone building. Our hospital team thoroughly enjoys our rare gem of a backyard garden in the middle of NYC for work, breaks, various celebrations, and events. We thoroughly enjoy our historical neighborhood with many restaurants, as well as our convenience to the many uptown, crosstown, and downtown attractions of the city. Anyone looking with excitement toward a professional career and a life of endless opportunities in a convenient, popular and vibrant Manhattan neighborhood should look no further for a wonderful location to work and call home.