The Animal Medical Center, a full-service, not-for-profit veterinary specialty hospital, research and teaching facility on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, is seeking a Director of Animal Health Education to oversee activities for the AMC’s Usdan Institute for Animal Health Education. Reporting to the Chief Strategy Officer and working closely with the Veterinary staff, marketing and development departments, the Director is responsible for the overall health communication activity, and education of pet owners. The Director will develop and implement appropriate strategies and methods to facilitate animal health promotion and disease prevention to a diverse audience of pet-owning families across the country in order to help AMC fulfill our mission.
Qualified Individuals will have:
· A bachelor’s degree- a Master’s degree in Public Health/Public health education work is preferred.
· 5+ years of experience working in community health education
· Skilled writer and editor
· Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
· Demonstrated leadership and ability to plan and manage multiple projects at one time.
· Graphic design experience a plus
· Love of animals desirable
· Bilingual in Spanish a plus
· Develop, implement and manage animal health education strategies and programs for pet owners.
· Develop and implement annual goals and objectives that support the strategic plan for the Institute, which will ensure successful achievement of the strategic plan.
· Work closely with Chief Medical Officer and AMC veterinary staff to determine appropriate pet health topics and messaging for clients and pet families.
· Translate scientific information and concepts into clear and concise language in order to maximize understanding among clients and pet-owning families.
· Create new ways of communicating pet health information both online, on social media and at community events that are easily digestible.
· Responsible for content creation for the new Pet Health Library found on the AMC website.
· Help identify, develop and improve educational materials and other tools that will serve as resources for pet owners and clients.
· Oversee schedule of Pet Health Education events for the community.
· Work closely with AMC’s Marketing team on web-based and social media communication opportunities to maximize reach of the Institute’s messaging.
· Serve as spokesperson for The Institute as required and work closely with PR firm for all press activities.
· Oversee and supervise the Usdan Institute Events Associate.
· Ensure consistent messaging and branding for the Institute throughout all activities and materials created.
· Develop, monitor and assess AMC’s animal health education programming to continue to ensure the Institute is maximizing its reach and meeting the needs of pet owners everywhere.
· Seek out and develop ongoing partnership opportunities within both the local community and beyond to make animal health education programs accessible to more people.
· Work closely with Development Department to build and establish opportunities for corporate sponsorship.
· Identify new ways to expand the Institute’s reach to become a nationally recognized resource to pet families everywhere.
· Assist with training AMC Staff on animal health education activities specifically for clients.
· Oversee and hold regular meetings with the Usdan Institute Advisory Council to obtain input on how best to grow activities of the Institute and reach a wider audience.
About Animal Medical Center, NYC
The Animal Medical Center is a not-for-profit hospital for companion animals and an institute for veterinary education and research.
The Animal Medical Center in New York City is a federally recognized 501(c)(3) non-profit veterinary center that has been a national leader in animal care since 1910. As an academic veterinary hospital, AMC promotes the health and well-being of companion animals through advanced treatment, research and education.
Our staff is comprised of nearly 100 veterinarians who utilize an interdisciplinary team approach in our Elmer and Mamdouha Bobst Hospital, combining expertise in more than 17 key specialties and services to care for your pet 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.